Would your partner say this about Valentine’s Day? We bet you’d be surprised!
Someone needs to shoot cupid….seriously.
People will assume that we are saying this because we are “single” or “lonely,” but that is not the case. Actually, several of us are in relationships but are choosing NOT to celebrate this holiday in its current form.
In reality, many men would rather get their bikini area waxed than be forced (and we do force them) to buy flowers, candy and teddy bears that end up in the trash.
To prove, or disprove, our theory, we caught up with a few guys on the street and asked them how they REALLY feel about Valentine’s Day.
Here is what they said:
* It’s an overrated excuse for people to spend money on stupid presents. (30’s – In a relationship)
* I only participate in it because it means so much to my girlfriend. (20’s – In a relationship)
* I could take it or leave it. (30’s – In a relationship)
* It’s a waste of money. (40’s – Single)
* I only like it because it is guaranteed sex. (20’s – In a relationship)
* I don’t know….indifference I suppose. (30’s – In a relationship)
* I hate the expectations of it. I always feel like she is disappointed. (30’s – In a relationship)
* Valentine’s Day makes me glad I’m single! (30’s – Single)
So, why do we put so much time and effort into a holiday that 50% of the partnership doesn’t want to participate in?
Why do we put so much time and effort into a holiday that is designed to make our fellow single sisters feel bad about themselves?
This year, SheNOW wants ALL women to spend Valentine’s Day with some of the closest “Soul Mates” we’ll ever have…..Our BEST Friends!
We are partnering with ProfessionGal to take back Cupid’s Day, and we want YOU to join us!!!
We encourage all women to spend the day of love celebrating their friendships, whether they are single or not. Part of our plan to accomplish this is to create a Be Your Own Valentine board on Pinterest. So, consider this your personal invitation to be a pinner on that board!!
We are looking for pictures, photos, art, articles, videos, etc that promote and celebrate females on Feb. 14. Some themes you might look for could include:
• Hobbies/Passions/Interests (e.g. crafts, dyi)
• Independence (e.g. quotes, symbols of motivation)
• Girl’s Nights
• And event anti-Valentine’s Day stuff if you want
Do you have to be single to participate? No! It’s not about being single, it’s about loving yourself as much as you love others (including your boyfriend or girlfriend).
Leave a comment below, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added as a Pinner. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Image Credit: Huffington Post